Once you’ve made the decision to move, the list of things that need to get done can seem quite daunting. The best advice is to take the time to make a master list and get everything organized and complete before the moving company shows up with their trucks on moving day.
If selling your house is at the top of the to-do list, how do you get your home ready to be on the market? The world today is a very visual place. Marketing, social media, news – just about everyone uses high quality images to help get their messages across. Selling your home should be no different, so make sure you have some quality photos taken of your home (both indoors and outdoors) to help make the process quick and easy.
If you are going to enlist someone to take professional photos, make sure your home is ready to be photographed! Here’s what you can do to show the best side of your home:
- This may seem like an obvious one, but we can’t be the only ones who have seen real estate pictures with laundry on the bed or a garbage bag in the background! If the job seems too big to tackle on your own, consider hiring a cleaning service.
- Declutter all spaces. People need to be able to envision themselves living in the home. This can be hard to do if there are too many personal items in the photos. Remove knick-knacks, mantel décor and photographs, area rugs and anything on the floors that should be put away. Those pesky papers that everyone has lying around should be stashed away. Garbage cans should also be hidden out of sight.
- Exterior touch ups. Make sure the recycle and garbage bins are out of sight. Pull any weeds and trim bushes or overgrown plants. Remove any holiday or personal décor as well.
- Lighten up. Make sure all light bulbs are in good working order and consider adding some lighting if the room will appear too dark in photographs.
- Stage the space. Removing furniture to make the space roomier or adding a specific type of furniture are all ways of staging a home to make it show better. Setting a lovely dining room table, adding fresh fruit to the kitchen or a cake on the counter are also ways to sprucing up your home for photos. There are many staging companies that serve areas from Burlington over to Richmond Hill that can help you stage your home.
- Close it all up. Right before you start with the photo session, make sure all doors, drawers, cupboards and toilet seats are closed. All televisions, computers and any other screens should also be turned off.
Working with the right professionals when it comes to tackling big jobs like selling your home or moving to a new location can make all the difference. Best Canadian Movers is a full service moving company helping clients in Burlington, Brampton, Richmond Hill and surrounding areas. Our company has over two decades of moving experience and our goal is to satisfy every single customer. When you are ready to move, contact us!