A lot of attention gets paid to the moving out and packing process when you move. You research moving companies that service where you live in the greater Toronto area, select the best movers that fit your needs, book your moving date and then start figuring out the best way to pack all your items. But what happens once the boxes are packed and the moving company has loaded every last item into the truck?
Having a plan for moving in and unpacking is also really important. Moving can be an emotional experience and you want to focus on keeping things stress free and easy once the moving company has deposited the last box in your new space.
Best Canadian Movers offers our best tips to help moving in and unpacking a happy time:
- Pack a weekender bag containing essentials – pajamas, toothbrush, two changes of clothes, electronic devices and chargers, all personal documents, etc. Do this for each member of the family (including pets – bowls, leashes, a few toys) so that you don’t stress about finding what you immediately need right off the bat.
- Pack items you will need first in clear bins so you can find them easily and unpack them first. Cleaning supplies and essential items like tools to open all your boxes, hand soap, paper towel, toilet paper and garbage bags should be included.
- If you can, show up to your new place early and clean (at least the kitchen and bathrooms) or have cleaners go in before moving day.
- Take a photo of your electronics before you disassemble and pack everything so that you know how everything was hooked up. This will make unpacking and moving in electronics a quick and less painful process! But you might want to wait to hook up the television until most boxes are unpacked or it may only serve as a distraction during your work!
- If possible, order groceries using a delivery service to be delivered late in the day on the day you are moving in and unpacking. Not having to go to the grocery store will take one big thing off your to do list and make sure that there are drinks and food for you and anyone helping you unpack.
- A top priority should be to unpack and set up your sleeping areas with fresh, clean sheets. You will want to fall into bed after a very busy day and won’t want to be setting up your bed at ten o’clock at night! Use clear plastic bags for each set of fresh linens so you can easily know what set goes with what bed.
- Unpack the kitchen after tending to the beds. A majority of your boxes will be kitchen related so it will make you feel like you are making progress and you will have space to eat!
- Flatten and break down boxes as you go. This will help ensure you don’t miss anything when unpacking and helps to clear space.
Settling into a new space can be overwhelming, but we know that these tips will help. Best Canadian Movers is a family owned and operated moving company committed to providing affordable moving service in Toronto, Mississauga, Burlington, Oakville and the rest of the GTA. Contact us today for your free moving quote.